The California Department of Education (CDE) and the California Adult Literacy Professional Development Project (CALPRO) are pleased to offer a regional Community of Practice (CoP) on Optimizing ESL Instructional Planning: Management, Monitoring, and Reflection. This blended learning CoP incorporates both online collaborative work and face-to-face sessions to be held at Coachella Valley Adult School, Thursday, January 30 and Thursday, February 20, 2020 from 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm.This training presents an optimal process for instructional planning through management, monitoring, and reflection. Strategies and activities focusing on these three processes are introduced and immediately implemented in the classroom. Participants are supported in integrating the activities and materials into their instructional practices in the English as a second language (ESL) classroom.
Who is the intended audience?
This training is intended for instructors of adult English as a Second Language (ESL) of all proficiency levels. The goals are to:
– Optimize instructional planning and introduce management, monitoring, and reflection;
– Share activities that incorporate these components into the English as a second language (ESL) course as a whole and into daily lessons; and
– Introduce and review research that supports these activities as best practices.
The application deadline is Tuesday, January 14, 2020. Notification of acceptance will occur by Wednesday, January 15, 2020.
All Participants commit to:
– Complete all online assignments before, between, and after the face-to-face meetings
– Attend both face-to-face meetings
– Provide collegial support and feedback to fellow training participants
– Be able to use the computer, internet, and e-mail. Technology use may include opening an internet browser, opening documents online, clicking to view videos, and typing text in a Web site. In-depth training on using the internet will not be provided.
NOTE: When you register for the course, you will automatically also be enrolled in a brief, online, self-directed orientation how to use the Moodle platform that will help you to better understand how to navigate the online course. Completion of the Moodle Orientation is not required, but participants are encouraged to take advantage of what it has to offer.
CLICK HERE for more information or to register for the event.